Board of Trustees Code of Ethics
The Board is committed to ethical conduct in all areas of its responsibilities and authority.
- Ensure the needs of all students and their achievements are paramount
- Respect the integrity of the principal and staff
- Be loyal to the organisation and its mission
- Observe the confidentiality of non-public information acquired in their role as trustees and not disclose to any other persons such information that might be harmful to the school
- Be diligent and attend board meetings prepared for full and appropriate participation in decision making
- Speak with one voice – collective responsibility – through its adopted policies, practices and decisions and ensure that any disagreements with the Board’s stance are resolved within the Board
- Ensure that individual trustees do not act independently of the Board’s decisions
- Recognise the lack of authority in any individual trustee or subgroup of the board in any interaction with the principal or staff (without the written delegated authority of the Board)
- Recognise that only a trustee with the written delegated authority of the board – normally the Chairperson – can speak for the Board
- Avoid any conflicts of interest with respect to their fiduciary responsibility
- Continually self-monitor their individual performance as trustees against policies and against any other current board evaluation tools.